Key Truths About Investing
Select a few of the statements below, or make up a few yourself, that identify with your investment philosophy. The purpose of each statement is to make you think or have an open dialogue with your advisor about investing and the decisions you make.
- Fluctuation in asset prices (volatility) is not risk. Real investment risk is whether you will abandon the plan.
- Fluctuations provide the opportunity to buy low and sell high.
- When you are investing , you want the markets to go low so you can buy low monthly. (Even though you will see red on your portfolio temporarily for sometime)
- What you never know is the size and duration of the market fluctuations.
- Recessions can’t be predicted, only speculated. They are a normal and healthy part of the financial markets.
- Recessions and market losses do not cause people to miss their financial goals; it is their reaction and behavior to market events that cause people to miss them.
- The greatest hindrance to investors not achieving their goals is lack of discipline.
- The investor’s greatest enemy is the media noise around everything.
- The ability to choose a wise coach, provides not just a Return On Investment (ROI) but an amazing ROL (Return on Life).
- The most profitable advice I have ever received from my advisor is to “DO NOTHING”